From Florida Action Committee:
A new and potentially important bill was filed last week in the Florida House of Representatives.
House Bill 1055, sponsored by Rep. Chuck Brannon III proposes the following changes to Florida’s registration laws:
- Provide financial support to Law Enforcement to find missing and exploited children (WE SUPPORT)
- Afford reporting of vehicle information through the online portal (WHILE WE STILL STRONGLY OPPOSE REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES NOT OWNED, WE SUPPORT THE ABILITY TO REPORT THIS IMMATERIAL INFORMATION ONLINE INSTEAD OF IN PERSON)
- Clarifies a point of huge ambiguity by replacing the word “within” with “at least”, requiring at least 48 hours notice before domestic and intrastate travel (ie: establishing residence of 3 or more days) any unknown travel must be reported as soon as possible. (WE SUPPORT THE CLARIFICATION OF THE LANGUAGE – IT SEEMS COMPLETELY CONTRARY TO PRIOR DEFINITION, WE STILL STRONGLY OPPOSE REGISTRATION OF SHORT-TERM VACATION OR BUSINESS TRAVEL AND STRONGLY OPPOSE HAVING TO DO THIS IN PERSON).
- For international travel they changed certain words to the plural instead of the singular, (presumably requiring both the itinerary of both the departure and return) (THIS IS SOMETHING THEY WERE ALREADY COLLECTING SO NO DIFFERENCE)
- If the jurisdiction in which a registrant was convicted orders that the registration is non-public/confidential and the person no longer meets the criteria for registration in Florida, they can petition for removal (STILL UNCLEAR OF THE IMPACT OF THIS ONE – FLORIDA IS FOR LIFE.)
- Stay tuned for more information.